Cork flooring is made from the bark of the cork oak tree. It is becoming increasingly popular these days and is used for homes, offices and commercial locations.
So, How Is Cork Flooring Made?
- The bark is harvested every 9 years by hand. An inner layer of bark is left behind to protect the tree and allow it to produce more bark for the next harvest. That means it’s a sustainable, environmentally sound flooring option.
- After the bark has dried, the bark will be taken to a factory for processing.
- It is then boiled, ground up, and compressed into tiny pieces for later assembly.
- The flooring will be pressed together with an adhesive material. Adhesives vary, but essentially this step is designed to hold all those loose pieces together.
- These tiny pieces are what will be used to make the cork flooring. The pieces will be made into different flooring styles. Some look like whole cork and other designs are clearly assembled to be visually stunning.
- It comes in a variety of styles and colors. The price of cork flooring varies but tends to be about $4-$8 per square foot. And it’s so cushy to walk on!
Custom Furniture and Flooring has a variety of flooring styles to choose from. Contact us today and lets get started picking out the best cork flooring style for your needs.