With the holidays around the corner, so comes the likelihood of family and friends dropping by to visit with it. Naturally, you will want your home looking its best, so here are some tips on how to quickly spruce up your flooring before they arrive.
The great thing about hardwood floors is that they can be refinished over and over again. But this is no simple job. So if you want to breathe some new life into your wood floors fast, do the following:
- Sweep or vacuum away dust and any other debris
- Dampen a microfiber mop using a mixture of one part vinegar to 10 parts water or a gentle cleaner such as Murphy’s Oil Soap
- Dry with a lint free cloth
- Apply a manufacturer-recommended polish
Because of how laminate floors are made, a simple sweeping or vacuuming along with a damp mopping with water is often enough. However, if your floors are extremely dirty:
- Lightly dampen a microfiber mop with a laminate floor cleaner recommended by the flooring’s manufacturer
- Do not spray the cleaner directly on the floor to avoid spots or over-wetting that could allow moisture to seep between floorboards
- Never use wax or polish for wood floors on your laminate flooring because it can damage them or make them dangerously slippery
Vinyl flooring can usually take a lot of traffic without needing a ton of maintenance. One of the tricks to keeping it looking great is to make sure you sweep and damp mop your floors regularly with warm water. When additional cleaning is needed:
- Sweep up any dirt or other debris
- Use a cleaner that is recommended for your floor )whether it is a no-wax or wax type) and damp mop
- Shine up no-wax floors that have lost their shine with a manufacturer-recommended polish
Unless your carpeting is extremely dirty, you can usually get away with a quick vacuuming to remove dirt and pet hair. However, if you have pets or track in a lot of dirt, you may want to freshen it before guests arrive.
- Vacuum your carpets with a fresh bag or empty canister
- Sprinkle a commercial carpet freshener or if you want to avoid perfumed scents, sprinkle baking soda on your carpet
- Let freshener or baking soda sit for 15 minutes
- Vacuum your carpeting once again with a fresh bag or empty canister
For tougher spots, rent or hire a steam-cleaner and follow the directions.
Holiday cleaning may be a hassle but with guests coming over, you surely want your home to look its best and a quick spruce on your flooring will do just the trick. For a completely revamped floor, or more tips on cleaning, contact us today. Remember, “you can trust’em at Custom!”